The Hawaii Department of Health, Maui Food Safety Branch, has placed a red “Closed” placard on the Paradise Supermart with a “critical” safety warning. This occurred just two days prior to Thanksgiving. The Supermart is located at 207 East Wakea Avenue, Kahului. The store was closed due to multiple food safety violations referred to as being “critical” by the Health Department, after they determined there was a significant public health hazard as a result.
Inspections conducted by the Food Safety and Vector Control branches were done as a result of a complaint that was filed. The violations below were found by the Department of Health:
- Refrigeration not holding foods at proper temperature;
- Handwash sinks that were not accessible and in need of repair;
- Fresh vegetables that contained mold and dead flies;
- Live animals, fish, and flies in the premises;
- Openings in perimeter walls allowing pests to enter;
- Grease build-up, food debris, unsanitary conditions, and general clutter; and
- Lack of managerial control of food safety requirements.
The establishment is to remain closed until all noted violations have been resolved and the health department inspects and permits reopening to the public. A follow-up inspection has been scheduled for as soon as today.
You can review Hawaii restaurant and food establishment inspections by going to http://hi.healthinspections.us/hawaii/.