Packing for Hawaii can be easy. Here are our top 11 suggestions plus several shared by visitors. Please let us know if you have anything else for the list. We think the main rule to go by is, “Keep it Simple.”
1. Leave the turkey at home. Well it’s Thanksgiving after all. We once met a visitor who brought a turkey from the mainland for Thanksgiving dinner. Just remember there’s nothing much you can’t buy here if you need it, including food and medications. So don’t loose sleep if you should forget something.
2. Roll your clothes. Pack things that don’t need a lot of care. Stay away from dry cleaners and you won’t pay $10 or more per garment.
3. Pack carry-on snacks for the trip and some for after you get here and are tired and hungry.
4. Unlined Goretex type shirt/jacket is helpful for rain and wind protection without making you steam. Something warm for the plane and nights, like a sweatshirt or light sweater, might be good too.
5. Hiking boots are useful and can be worn to lighten your baggage. If you have old shoes/boots, consider wearing those and leaving them behind to have even more luggage space on the return.
6. Limit T-Shirts you bring. There are so many great shirts to buy in Hawaii. Even living here, we all have a plethora of Hawaii t-shirts.
7. Snorkeling gear can stay home. Why not rent, or purchase inexpensively in Hawaii.
8. Finding the internet. There is a lot of free wifi to be found in Hawaii. You can also purchase a visitor library card and use the Internet and a computer at locations throughout Hawaii.
9. Avoid checked bag fees entirely by sticking with limited clothes in a carry-on.
10. Travel with a luggage scale and know your carrier’s limitations.
11. Dufflebag or Tote for the return trip. Consider either bringing a nylon dufflebag or buying a Rubbermaid tote for the return trip. After you go shopping, you may need it. Yes you will pay for the checked bag, but it will likely be far cheaper than shipping all that stuff home.
Get a taste of all Oahu has to offer and save up to 55% on the gate prices to more than 30 of the island’s top …
Mauna Lani Spa was named one of the 2014 Best Spas in the World by readers of Conde Nast Traveler, and Fodor’s …
Take to the waters with a surf lesson from Kai Sallas’ Pro Surf School in Waikiki, ranked among the top three …