Laie Inn closed in October and is being demolished this week. This is good news for the 45 year old Mormon Church owned property adjacent to BYU-Hawaii and the Polynesian Cultural Center.
When I stayed there several years ago, it was Pro Bowl Weekend and this was the only hotel with a vacancy. That should have been the first warning flag but we were desperate.
Not only did the Laie Inn reek of fake reviews, it also remains the single worst hotel I’ve ever had the privilege to stay at. This is the hotel that first perked my interest in TripAdvisor reviews and the issue of review fraud.
I remember having paid $100/night and encountered the following issues:
- Blood-stained sheets and towels.
- Dangerous parking lot; so much so I was afraid to leave the room.
- Worst bed and bedding ever (think I Love Lucy).
- Broken plumbing and lighting fixtures.
- Missing and broken windows, some boarded, some not.
- Loose electric wires hanging outside room.
- Unfathomable guest laundry (photo)
- Pathetic continental breakfast.
- Oblivious management.
- Outrageous price.
- False advertising.
All of the Laie Inn reviews on TripAdvisor have been removed, post wrecking ball. The Church is planning a new 200 room hotel in its place that may be branded a Marriott.
Did you ever stay at Laie Inn? If you have any memories to share please leave a comment.
Subscribe to our email updates.
(Photo taken on a property walk during my stay at Laie Inn; dozer added for effect).