Here is where you will find the best time to visit Hawaii for deals and more. When you travel during specific periods, there are important dates that’ll impact your costs. This post is perfect for budget travelers when price is the major determining factor. We have also included weather and surf conditions too.
Remember that Southwest Airlines continues to positively impact competition. That results in improved pricing on those routes on which they compete. See more on what we expect below.
Best time to visit Hawaii: for travel deals.
1. Spring 2022. From now until early June. This best time to visit Hawaii option is also great for last-minute deals. There should be more sales this week, in fact, so stay tuned for those. Spring is always one of the best times to visit Hawaii.
2. Peak summer travel 2022 – June 10 to August 14. From mid-June, through July and into early August are some of the busiest times to visit Hawaii, as well as some of the most expensive. Consider airfares, accommodation prices, and availability of car rentals, restaurants and activities before booking. Best to avoid summer if possible if price is an issue.
3. Late summer/fall travel 2022. August 15 through December 15, 2022 (except Thanksgiving time). The months of September, October and November offer better prices across the board. Greater availability for off-season travel will return.
4. Christmas in Hawaii 2022. If you choose to travel at the very highest priced time of year, during Christmas and New Year holidays, buyer beware. While airfare is still readily available, the most desirable accommodations are far less so. And the prices are eye-popping. Having said that, the lowest cost flights to Hawaii at this time of year will be for travel on December 24, 25, 31 and January 1. Also, mainland departures starting after December 25 will be at a lower cost. As with peak summer travel, the availability and pricing of airfares, accommodations, car rentals, restaurants and activities should all be considered before booking. Best to avoid summer if possible if price is an issue.
5. Winter/snowbird season 2023 includes travel from early January through late March, 2023. It’s too early to say how this will shake out regarding being a best time to visit Hawaii. In recent years, there have been better than anticipated winter prices, which has made this a great time to visit Hawaii. We’ll update you further when it gets closer.
6. Spring break 2o23. Between mid-March and early-April 2023. This can also be one of the highest-priced times of year to visit Hawaii. Don’t expect to see many deals offered for spring break, although spring break season sometimes has a few pleasant surprises. Also keep in mind that the last week of April is Golden Week in Japan, when a large influx of Japanese visitors to Hawaii is generally expected.
Summary. A winter, spring, or fall Hawaii vacation has always been our recommendation for the best times to visit Hawaii. The very finest in Hawaii weather is found during spring and fall (winter isn’t bad either, especially when compared with anywhere on the mainland). These are times you can also revel in the feeling of having the islands more to yourself. That’s something which is becoming rare, and is only possible during the low season. We can’t say enough about just how beneficial that is. Plus, you’ll have the best chance to score Hawaii travel deals.
Best time to visit Hawaii: for surf and ocean conditions.
1. Overview. While ocean temperatures remain more or less constant year-round, the conditions themselves vary greatly. As a result, a beach that’s calm in summer can feature giant and dangerous waves in winter. Tourists less familiar with our oceans should especially take note and be vigilant about ocean conditions when choosing beaches for swimming, and snorkeling. Ocean surf can be very specific, with one part of a beach being dangerous, while another part may remain calm and safe.
2. Summer generally features more calm Hawaiian ocean conditions. But we are aware that the south shore can feature high waves in summer.
3. Winter can feature very high waves with surfing conditions at north shore and west facing beaches. Storms can exacerbate these conditions. That’s why Hawaii is famous for surfing, after all.
Best Time to visit Hawaii: for weather.
1. Overview. The weather in Hawaii is generally glorious and is a subject of interest to both visitors and residents. In summer, Hawaii temperatures are generally in the 80’s with refreshing trade winds. It’s the time of year to shut off the air conditioner and head off to Hawaii.
Sun, rain, wind, and other conditions are prominent features of Hawaiian islands weather. That’s largely due to the islands being small, in a vast ocean, which in part creates variability in Hawaii’s weather. The Pacific Ocean is the source of the unique Hawaii weather. The Pacific Ocean temperature only varies by about 6 degrees year-round, between 73, and 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Since we’re remotely located 2,500 miles from the nearest continent, the air in Hawaii is impacted by ocean conditions, whereas on the mainland, it’s more dictated by land conditions.
2. Hawaii summer weather. As we head into the balmy summer months soon, with slightly warmer 80+ degree days and mid-60 to 70 degree nights, you’ll still note that the breezy flow of cool air from the arctic keeps Hawaii comfortable all year, even in the summer.
3. Seasons in Hawaii. The warm “Kau” season starts in May and runs until September, when you can expect longer and warmer days and nights. The cool “Hooilo” season is typical for the remainder of the year, when from October until May, expect nighttime temperatures from the 50’s to 60’s and daytime temps in the 70’s. The lowest temperatures are found in February, March, and April.
4. Hawaii Rainfall. Major winter storms can occur from November to December and from March to April. Precipitation occurs roughly 15 percent of the time during those six months. When winter rains occur, they can impact the entire state. Keep an eye out for brown water advisories following heavy rainfall when the ocean isn’t safe for swimming.
5. Hawaii Trade Winds. Most of the time, cooling trade winds emanate from the north and east across the state. These keep temperature and humidity moderate, although the south and west sides of the islands remain warmer and dryer, with most of the rain at these times found in mountains and valleys. During trade wind conditions, you can escape rain by heading to those drier areas. While it may be raining at one place, another part of the island can be dry and sunny. The trade winds do stop about 20 percent of the time. South (Kona) winds found mostly in winter can result in cold and wet conditions, while during summer, these lead to higher humidity.
6. Hawaii hurricane season. The possibility of hurricanes occurs annually from June through November.
Best time to visit Hawaii: for other reasons.
1. Overview. There are so many reasons to visit Hawaii and you may choose to pick a time of year to visit based on any number of them. That’s true whether you’re headed to Honolulu and the famous Waikiki Beach, or any other Hawaii destination.
2. Humpback whales, for example, are seen in Hawaii each winter and they’re unforgettable, to say the least. Almost extinct just 50 years ago, their population has grown along with global whaling bans. See our post for more details about opportunities to see Humpback Whales. Maui is most renowned for whale watching opportunities, and we can confirm that, although we have seen them on Oahu, Kauai and the Big Island as well. The peak season and best time of year to get a glimpse runs from November to March each year.
3. Hawaii volcanoes. Another unique Hawaii phenomenon and one of our top recommendations is found at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island. Not to be missed.
4. Festivals and other celebrations. Whether it is the upcoming Memorial Day lantern festival on Oahu, the wine festival, other events like King Kamehameha Day, the Merrie Monarch Festival, the Prince Lot Hula Festival, or the Aloha Festivals, there’s always a ceremony, festival or another great opportunity going on to enjoy Hawaii food and great and unique entertainment. See these out.
5. Hiking in Hawaii. Another favorite Hawaii activity on all the islands is accessible year-round. From Lanai and Molokai to Oahu and Kauai, every island has plenty of great hikes and trails, from basic to the most advanced.
How do you decide on the best time to visit Hawaii?