Tips on when to buy cheap flights to Hawaii.
Updated 8/1/2018. We answer many questions on the subject on Cheapest Time to Fly to Hawaii. Here are our latest updates for Hawaii vacations in 2018-2019, to help you save money.
1. Decide on your travel season then look below for our suggestions. Each season has peak travel periods requiring a very different approach.
2. How determined are you to take a Hawaii vacation? If you wait and the price target you have in mind doesn’t materialize, are you willing to change plans and vacation elsewhere?
3. Do you have flexibility with your travel dates? Day of week and even time of day will significantly impact both availability and price.
4. Can you accept a deal that isn’t at the rock bottom price? Sometimes the deal that is available now can be the best option. That’s true even when it isn’t the absolute lowest price, as better Hawaii vacation deals may or may not materialize later.
5. Do you have time to keep watching for cheap flights to Hawaii? Monitoring for the absolute lowest of cheap flights to Hawaii can be quite time consuming to say nothing about aggravating. If you read the comments you’ll hear from people who have missed out by waiting.
Late Summer/Fall 2018 low season travel (August 13 and November 11, 2018). Late summer to fall airfares will be priced competitively, making it a great time to travel. Availability is good so wait for best deals and typically buy about 1-3 months in advance.
Thanksgiving 2018 high season holiday travel (November 15 through November 26, 2018). When traveling at Thanksgiving, it is best to buy tickets either 1) far in advance or 2) at the last minute. For last minute cheap flights to Hawaii at Thanksgiving, look in early November. Otherwise, the best window of buying opportunity for Thanksgiving begins around January 1 each year.
Late Fall 2018 low season travel (November 27 through and December 13, 2018). After Thanksgiving fall airfares will also be priced competitively, making it a another great time to travel. Wait for best deals and typically buy about 0-3 months in advance.
Christmas/New Years 2018 high season holiday travel (December 15, 2018 through January 6, 2019). When traveling at the holidays, it is also best to buy tickets either far in advance or at the last minute. If you’re looking for last minute cheap flights to Hawaii for a Christmas/New Years vacation, you should start to look during Thanksgiving week, Black Friday, Cyber Monday and thereafter for any remaining last minute availability. Otherwise, the best window of opportunity begins each year at the end of January for the same reasons as with Thanksgiving. Also note that accommodations and cars will also be challenging at the holidays, and, as with trans-Pacific and inter-island flights, these should be planned far in advance to avoid disappointment.
Winter 2019 low season travel (January 8 through mid-March 2019). Wide spread winter 2019 airfare sales will start in late summer 2018. However some deals have already occurred that included early 2019 dates, and those may continue too. Winter had traditionally been an expensive time of year. In the last couple of years, however, winter prices became more moderate.
Spring break 2019 high season travel (mid-March to early April 2019). Spring break dates tend to be a moving target and continue to flex a bit until near then. When traveling at spring break, it is best to buy tickets as far in advance as possible due to lack of deals and limited availability. Prices are typically 50% higher than right before or after that period.
Spring 2019 low season travel (mid-April through June 13, 2019). Look to purchase value priced tickets starting late summer to fall 2018 and beyond.
Summer 2019 high season travel (June 8 through August 12, 2019). When traveling during peak summer (any year), it is generally best to buy tickets as far in advance as possible due to lack of deals and limited availability. Prices are typically 50% higher than right before or after. Travel starting early August could see some softening in prices. Summer 2019 may be see prices impacted positively due to new competition as a result of Southwest Hawaii flights.
Late Summer/Fall 2019 low season travel (August 12 to December 5, 2019, except over Thanksgiving). Late summer to fall airfares will be priced competitively, making it a great time to travel. Availability is always good so wait for best deals and typically buy about 1-3 months in advance.
Tip: At Beat of Hawaii we have our fishing net out to catch Hawaii vacation deals for you. Please subscribe to our free updates to reel them in first or like us Facebook. Then stay tuned and act quickly on announced availability to save time and money.
Visit Cheapest Time to Fly to Hawaii for more info and to ask questions.