Below are twenty ways to save money and enjoy cheap Hawaii vacations. You’ll have a blast while you’re at it.
2. Tourist cards can save a bundle. See our Go Oahu experience here. We had an unforgettable time trying this, and saved $246 (for two people) in just one day.
3. Travel at off times of year. Also fly mid-week. See our guide for best time to visit Hawaii which has specific dates.
4. Minimize restaurants. Pack your own food for travel days and when in Hawaii. See our recently published 19 ways to save money on food in Hawaii.
5. Mix it up with high and low cost Hawaii vacation elements to reduce your average cost. That means at hotels, restaurants, in activities, and even airline upgrades. When you splurge one day, consider having a lower cost day too. When we’ve upgraded to first class one way – that’s what I remember, not the economy flight in the other direction.
6. Avoid checked baggage fees. See our tips and tricks.
7. Sign up for our emails to score more Hawaii deals.
8. Check nearby airports when making flight plans. The cost difference, for example, between flying from Sacramento and Oakland can save a family hundreds of dollars.
9. Limit island hopping because of the time it takes. Or consider the NCL all-island Hawaii cruise. Stay tuned for our cruise update with NCL. It was fabulous.
10. Reduce or eliminate car rental costs when possible. See 10 ways to score a Hawaii discount car rental.
11. Consider Uber vs. taxi in Honolulu. We did this recently and saved nearly 50% over the cost of a cab. The Bus is far cheaper if that works for you. If it’s your first time with Uber, you may receive a discount on your first ride.
12. Swap your house with someone in Hawaii. We recently swapped our Kauai home with a couple who live in Manhattan.
13. Did you get the best deal? Call the hotel or provider to ask. Remember to check your car reservation closer to departure and see if a better rate is available.
14. Try a vacation rental instead of a hotel. Or pick a hotel room with a kitchenette to save money on meals.
15. Try these Brita water filter bottles instead of bottled water. We like them.
16. Look for activity discounts on each vendor’s website. Often you’ll save when you book in advance.
17. Check for online restaurant discounts, early-bird specials and coupons.
18. Honolulu Museum of Art free days are the 3rd Sunday of each month.
19. Check Yelp for both reviews and discounts.
20. Please add to the list in the comments below. Mahalo for your kokua.